Thursday, September 6, 2012

First adventures in Alaska


Here is a quick glimpse of what we have experienced the first couple of months of living in The Last Frontier.



We went clamming in Ninilchik, Alaska with some new friends..  It was about 3 hours away and the most beautiful drive ever.  Wildlife and gorgeous scenery every way you looked. 



Uhhh...Yeah...LOVE this man!!!



Neil and Robbie did pretty well with getting the razor clams.  We came back to the house and I fried some up for Neil ( Ashley loved them as well.  I have yet to acquire a taste for those little creatures)and froze some for later use in clam chowder.





Neil fitting right in. 


Beautiful Sunset overlooking our cabins.






                                      
I've been salmon fishing for reds 3 times so far and have been "skunked" every time  That's the term they use up here for not catching any fish.I've gone to the Russian River which is about 3 hours from here and it is the most beautiful river ever!  It reminds me of that movie, "A river runs through it".  It did not take me long to get the hang of "snagging" down.  Catching reds is not a bait and hook deal.  It's more like fly fishing and it is fun!! My first time going down to the Russian, within 30 minutes, we had a Grizzly with her 2 cubs come about 15 feet from us out of nowhere and started catching the fish I was supposed to be catching. Anytime anyone spots a bear and they are in the water they yell upstream..."BEAR" and then the people upstream in turn yell it and most everyone gets out of the water until the bear is out of sight.  It was a really unnerving experience.  We have yet to buy or carry a gun on us and I did not have any bear spray at the time so I stayed close to my friend who was packing a gun.  We've had so many friends load us up with salmon from their dip netting adventures so we should be set through out the winter.  Maybe next year I will catch a red.  The trick is to go when they are running strong and you have to calculate it to the "T".  We've been told that when they are running strong, the bottom of the river bed is like a red carpet with fish.  I'm excited for the fight.  Sigh...maybe next year for me.  The crazy thing is...Neil loves salmon but hates to fish.  I LOVE to fish but have yet to again...acquire the taste.   

2 comments:

  1. If I were you I'd get bear spray. If you shoot a bear--particularly a grizzly--and don't kill it immediately, what you've got on your hands is a wounded grizzly and there's no way that's a good thing....if you get my drift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did get bear spray and it fits in a little holster on our hip. Looks really professional. Neil and I have had a fun time sporting the look!!!

    ReplyDelete