Thursday, September 6, 2012

Alaska is NO JOKE when it comes to preparing for Winter

So we are realizing that Alaskans really take getting prepped for winter to a whole new extreme.  There is so much that needs to be done before the snow hits...and it will be soon.  EEK!!!!


 This is just one side of our garage with the cord of wood we got.  Neil plans on going out with a friend soon to stockpile some in our back yard so that it will be "seasoned" (not with salt and pepper...LOL...Erin Humor) in time for winter.
 We need to clear out all of our summer stuff, (especially all 3 of Neils bikes) to make room so that both of our vehicles will fit in our heated garage.  The last thing we want to do every morning before school and work is clear the snow off our cars.  We are already going to have to shovel the driveway each morning.  Up here, having a block heater for your vehicles is essential.  No telling where you will be and your car will be to frozen to start.
Junk

 So thanks to my father in law, Lees's recommendation, I got a wheat grinder as a present from my parents.  I love this thing.  It is so quiet and I love making fresh bread and waffles.

                                      

                                                          Hard White wheat is our fav.


You know what I LOVE about here...you can buy bulk food storage at Wal-Mart.  At great prices!!!


                                                                       And viola!!!!


Getting a jump on our food storage


I'm part of a freezer meal group in our church and I LOVE it!!! Basement freezer stocked with fish and yummy meals.


                                  One of the silver fillets that was a gift to us from my fathers catch!



So...I started canning.  So many people do it up here so I jumped on the bandwagon.  I have made Red Pepper Jelly, Christmas Jalapeno Jelly, Fireweed Jelly, Neils Beets (Neil LOVES beets with sour cream) and Sweet Cucumber Relish.


Made a couple of batches of freezer Strawberry and Raspberry/Blueberry with berries we picked up here.  I have about 6 more containers in our basement freezer which I was to lazy to bring up for this picture. (those stairs are killer) We LOVE freezer jam better than canned jam.  To us...it tastes fresher.  Now we can enjoy it all winter long...although I give it to February before we run out.

My friend Manda showed me some cute labels she made up for her jellies. Neil helped me and this is what we came up with.  Family in the lower 48...this is your Christmas gifts and they are DELISH!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment