Friday, September 7, 2012

Fall Baking

Well...I decided that since fall is so short here ( if you blink you will miss it) and the snow arriving any week now, what better time than now to get a jump on my fall baking.  I LOVE this time of year.  I love the crispness of the air outside and the changing of the leaves.  The crunch of the leaves underneath our feet is one of our favorite sounds. 

So I made two loaves of bread today.  I have a dear friend named Bonnie who is an absolute AMAZING cook and baker.  She sometimes brings over her homemade bread and rolls and some raspberry jam from the raspberries out of her garden.  Anywhoo...I made her recipe.  Cant wait to slather some of our freezer jam on a thick slice of heaven, 






So I have a secret.  I'm a scone snob.  Actually, both Neil and I are.  I don't remember the first time I ever had one.  Just seems like I have always loved them.

Short story... I delivered two of my children at CHOMPS in Monterey, California. A couple of hours after delivering the first child, Neil walks in with an almond and crasin scone from the deli in the hospital.  At that point I was so hungry to eat that I did not care what he brought me.  We were shocked at how incredible these scones were.  They were perfection! (hold on...let me wipe the drool off my mouth as I am writing this.)   We must of had 5 more during my 3 day stay.  Don't judge.

While preparing for delivery of my next child there, our minds would drift to the thought that we soon would be reunited with those decadent scones.  Sure enough...as soon as I was well enough to eat, Neil bought us two scones.  We had about 2 everyday.  Each.  Again...don't judge.

So that brings me to this post and the picture below.  I have tried to make scones many times as good as the ones we had at that cute hospital in Monterey.  To no avail.  A friend of mine from church posted on facebook about these amazing pumpkin scones she had made.  I think she had already made 3 batches and they were gone within 48 hours at her house.  I decided to give this a try.



So yes...we are in scone heaven again.  I made two batches.  The first batch I made I forgot to put the baking powder in it.  Luckily...as I was getting ready to cut the dough I remembered, so I did a baking no-no and kneaded the baking powder into the dough.  They rose some, a little denser, but still delish.  The second batch I made was perfection.  It has a basic powdered sugar glaze on it and then is topped off with a spice glaze.  YUMMY!!!  Cant be good for my diet...but hey...I am basking in the fact that I have found a wonderful scone recipe and am enjoying every autumn infused morsel.

No comments:

Post a Comment